Alps 2017 - Metre pizza and a bumpy ride


Friday morning then was an early get up as the whole group was heading over to L’Ubaye for a run which was a little broken, and required some odd shuttle organisation.  Once there a few guys got on at the big boy start, approx. half a kilometre upstream from the main get on.  The remainder of the group went down to the main get on, and waited there for the big boys to join us.  I was understandably a bit nervous while we were waiting, I picked the eddy I felt happy with to get on at, and waited for the big boys to discuss how the groups would work.  Admittedly I was a tad nervous to find Keith would be in a different group, and I was paddling with Crazy Chris.  His reputation preceded him, and already shaken after the events at L’Argentiere, I almost had a momentary break down.  However, I trusted the judgement of the group (and I knew Keith wouldn’t have me there if it was anything but as safe as could be) so I stopped myself falling apart within a second, and tried to get my mind focussed. 

Even the main get on looked technical.  A ferry glide would be needed to get out in to the flow far enough to miss a rock I could see behind me, and the water looked fast and bouncy.  Our group set off second, and I was third in the group.  Crazy was leading with Gregg between him and me, then I had Ed and Brian behind me.  It was swift start and straight in to some water that was right at the top of my ability and stretch levels.  I couldn’t even sing to try and calm myself, all I could do was focus on breathing, and I felt like I sounded like a freight train, chuffing away through the bigger pieces of water!  We hit an eddy fairly soon after setting off, this was to let Brian catch up as he had stayed back a little way to get some photos.  This also meant the third group went past us.  Sam was obviously unsettled being on a new river (she didn’t do this river when she came out to the Alps last year) as she went past squealing with Keith next to her coaching her through.  I understand she did calm down soon after this, and on catching up with her at the end of the run, she said she had enjoyed the run but it was type 2 fun. 

After we had broken in and gone through a couple more of the rapids we pulled in to another eddy.  Crazy had seen the other group just up ahead so he broke out to give them a few minutes more lead, and to check the group was happy.  It was here that Ed said his back wasn’t coping well.  He had been having some trouble with it over the last few days and it was causing him some trouble now.  This river wasn’t a difficult one for his level of paddling but he needed us not to hang around too long so he could get out of his boat ASAP.  Although I needn’t have been worrying about him, as his paddling level is far beyond mine, the thought that he was following me with a bad back, made me want to get the best line I could.  I’m sure he picked his own line but mentally this gave me something to think about other than how scary it was for me.  I made it though and I’d say the run was about a Type 1+½!  The big boys went on from there to do some bigger sections again while the ‘main group’ (now smaller than big boy group) went over to Le Lac, it wasn’t really warm enough to swim but Sam and I had a quick dip because we were there, and got out very quickly.  After the groups had got back together, the evening plan was to go to a Pizzeria local to this river for ‘metre pizza’.  3 metres of pizza was enough to feed us all and we all had ice cream after.  It’s another tradition of the trip to do this evening out after paddling the Ubaye!

On Saturday we had a late morning get up, and planned paddling for the afternoon when the last two paddlers would join us.  Tom (Jnr) and Tom (Snr) were set to arrive around 1pm at the get in for the upper Gusaine, so we all went back to paddle this again, and it would be a good warm up for the two of them.  I was feeling reasonably confident having had a good run on this river earlier in the holiday, although the water levels were much lower, so knew there would be more rocks exposed and needing to be avoided.  The run started well, but with us all getting slowed down by scraping over rocks we did get a bit bunched up.  I was feeling ok about the paddling but the technicality of it all had certainly increased.  I needed to be even more on the ball with watching Keith’s line at the front, and reading the river where I could, if he and Sam took what looked to be a bumpy line.  We were around a quarter of the way down the run (at a guess) when I was heading straight at a rock I didn’t want to be heading at.  I had little option at my level of paddling but to try to bouf over it as I didn’t have enough time to get around it. It wasn’t covered well enough so the boat went up but came down at an angle.  The front of the boat was in the tow back of water behind the rock and the back of the boat in the flow.  As I had come down oddly, the water had also caught the side of the boat and I was basically capsizing.  However, with the water levels being so low I didn’t go upside down, and the river carried me on my side for a few feet while I tried to push up off the river bed.  This didn’t work though and it wasn’t likely that it would so I had to pull my deck.  It wasn’t as easy to leave my boat while on its side, but I was soon out and floating (bouncing) downstream behind it.  Rob called ahead to Keith to stop with Sam, and quickly set on to getting my boat toward an eddy, as Brian was taking care of helping me to the side.  The rescue was swift and my swim was short, but it was not too pleasant.  I had bumped over the rocks on the river bed on the way and even in the cold water, with the adrenaline flowing, I knew I might have a bruise or two to show for it.  I wasn’t shaken much as, again, I knew where I had gone wrong and I knew the technicality on the river at this level was step up for me.  I was quickly reunited with my boat and was back on the water.

Not much further on from this, Sam got beached on a very shallow section but I made my way around her (the more experienced paddlers behind me would be able to do something to help her, and I was worried about going over again!).  It was only a few minutes later that Sam had the same problem as me and also took a swim.  It took a little longer to reunite Sam with her boat, as it had got taken in slightly deeper water and washed a little further down.  It was also in an area where there wasn’t a decent eddy like mine, but the rescue was still quick and efficient.  (It is reassuring to see how quickly the experienced paddlers respond in a rescue situation).  Waiting to find out what had happened and what was going on, in a tiny eddy, clinging to a tree on the side, my leg going to sleep a little and the ache from the swim starting to make itself known, I did consider whether to walk out from here.  I remembered though that the worst and shallowest part of the river was virtually over by this point, so unless I was told I should get out, I was going to complete the run.  Sam Decided to get off the River here and Rob got off the river too so he could get the car, and Sam wouldn’t be getting cold on the riverside waiting for us all to finish.  Keith, Brian and I caught up with the other group (Tom, Tom, Dean and Matt) and we all went on together from here.  I portaged ‘S Bend’ alone today as Dean decided to run it.  He aced it and the smile on his face when I met up with them again told me he felt great about it too.  We did the remainder of the run as one big group and only spilt up again close to the get out, where space in the eddy is a little restricted.  By the time we got back to the house I knew I was going to ache in the morning but at least the following day was set to be an ‘easy’ one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How are you?

Hey!  How are you?  Once again, it's been a while.  Since I last wrote on here almost a year ago, so much has transpired.  Just the las...